Kids save deaf parents, neighbors in overnight Tempe fire
TEMPE, AZ -- Some kids are being called heroes after an apartment fire in Tempe on Tuesday morning.
Tempe Fire Department’s Mike Reichling said the fire started around 12:40 a.m. at apartments near Hardy and University.
Kids in an apartment next door woke up because of the fire and then woke their parents, who are deaf. The couple then went and banged on the door of the apartment where the fire started.
“They went over started banging on the door, because they knew the young couple was there. The young couple, the man and the woman, that were transported were in their late 20s and they knew they were in there, so they banged on the door and got them up and got them out of the apartment,“ said Reichling.
CLICK ON THE ATTACHED SLIDESHOW TO SEE PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE
Reichling said the couple that lived there was taken to the hospital for minor burns and smoke inhalation.
The apartment is reportedly a total loss and 11 other apartments were displaced due to water damage.
Tempe fire believes the blaze started on the front porch, according to witness accounts.
“We do have one individual who does have video and we're working with him to get his video and help pinpoint exactly where the fire started,” said Reichling.
Check back with ABC15.com for updates on this story.